Extremists in Spain planned massive attack

Barcelona van attack: Spain's king Felipe visits victims in hospital

Muslims fear anti-Islam backlash in Spain after terror attacks

Assid said Satty had parted ways with the mosque in late June after Ramadan, as he wanted a vacation of three months - a request that the group did not agree to.

But at least eight of the suspects in Ripoll, a two-hour drive from Barcelona, went below the radars and police have said none were under surveillance as foreign fighters.

Spanish officials are to boost security at crowded areas and sites popular with tourists following two attacks in the country. The fate of the driver of the van that plowed through this city's famous La Rambla boulevard remains unknown.

Moussa's brother Driss is one of the four arrested. Large swaths of seats in the back of the cathedral sit empty as the Archbishop of Barcelona, Cardinal Joan Josep Omella begins his homily. An investigation later revealed he had been stabbed.

The gas canisters were found in the rubble of a house in Alcanar, in eastern Spain, that blew up on Wednesday, Trapero told reporters. The result of the operation, police dismantled four terrorist suspects and another was wounded.

The family of a seven-year-old British-Australian boy who had been listed as missing confirmed on Sunday that he was among the 13 killed in the Barcelona attack. Nothing was found in the searches in Girona and Garrigas, police tweeted.

Police believe the cell members had planned to fill the vans with explosives and create a massive attack in the Catalan capital.

But it is no stranger to radical attacks.

Police searching for four men of Moroccan nationality who all lived in Ripoll, a Catalan town.

He noted that police have since recovered three rented vans in connection with the attack, as well as the Audi A3 used in Cambrils and a motorcycle.

The El Pais daily, quoting police sources, said the imam could be one of the dead in the explosion.

500 hectares partis en fumée dans le sud — France
De gros moyens déployés ce mercredi après-midi pour un incendie au sud de Clermont l'Hérault, un feu de garrigue et de pinèdes. Des renforts d'Ile de France, Occitanie et Ouest sont par ailleurs venus prêter main forte à leurs collègues.

The suspects were living in the house illegally, he said, and other homes in the area have been occupied by squatters.

"He changed", the elder Aalla said. "It's confusing why anybody would want to hurt anybody like that".

Youssef, he said, was a "problematic" child. One number was for a Catalan charity to help disadvantaged young people in Senegal.

"I don't want to wake up without him next to me, and I don't want to watch TV without him", she added.

The manhunt is the its ninth raid on homes in Ripoll so far, in their hunt for people connected to the attacks.

The German public broadcaster DW is now reporting the Spanish police is using a robot to approach the body, as they fear they could detonate the bomb. The car overturned and the men were shot dead as they tried to flee.

In an earlier news conference Monday, investigators said Abouyaaqoub fled the scene of Thursday's attack on foot and hijacked a car to escape.

California residents, Heidi Nunes-Tucker, 40, and Jared Tucker, 42, were celebrating their first wedding anniversary when they decided to visit a friend in Barcelona.

A Belgian has also been confirmed dead.

Catalan authorities said people with Spanish, Algerian, Argentinian, Canadian, Chinese, Colombian, Dominican, Ecuadoran, Egyptian, Philippine, Honduran, Kuwaiti, Mauritanian, Pakistani, Peruvian, and Venezuelan nationality were also among the victims.

Levallois-Perret : l'enquête confirme un acte prémédité et terroriste
Rotterdam. Deuxième arrestation après l'annulation d'un concert pour "menace terroriste"